PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2021, 07:41
ATNotts

Received 307 Likes on 176 Posts
guy_incognito

That is a rather gloomy assessment. I agree that the Summer 2021 season is almost dead before it has even started, but I fully expected that in the autumn, which is why I have been saying that anyone who books a trip for S21 and hands over money is in the first place whistling in the wind, and second putting their hard earned cash at risk.

However announce the death of the UK aviation industry is somewhat exaggerating the situation. Even, just supposing there was a total collapse with the likes of Jet2, EasyJet, Ryanair, Loganair; the whole shooting match going bust, which won't happen anyway, the consequence would be the rising from the ashes of new businesses started up by executives and entrepreneurs in the industry, so that when the time is right, probably 2022, the industry would emerge looking very much different from how it does today, or to be more accurate, in 2019.

The same would likely happen with the package holiday industry, with many more smaller players filling the gaps left by the behemoths that now dominate the sector. That may be no bad thing for consumer choice, and also for employment in the longer term.

Helipixman:-

What is the answer ? when England can vaccinate 400,000 per day and that number is growing, they have vaccinated 5.8 million people so far ! Then take Scotland they have only vaccinated 360,000 in TOTAL - thats less than England in one day ? Scotland are already lagging behind. What country might you be wanting to travel to and how far behind are they ?
How can you just look at raw numbers; yes Scotland has vaccinated as many people per capita as England, but to use pure numbers is disingenuous. Just as an example, it is much more difficult for Scotland, given it's size and population to ensure that there are vaccination points within 10 miles of everyone in the population. Much easier for England.