PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2021, 07:38
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I was not crowing - why would I? I was actually making the point that even with problems launching and recovering jets, the carrier is still a vital platform for ASW, Command and Control, and if you needed them V/STOL aircraft.

On the subject of carriers and ASW, in the last couple of weeks there has been a bit of an argument over on ARRSE on the Carrier Strike thread - for about twelve pages. It has been two arguments really:

1. The main operating area - peacetime sea lines of communication or transatlantic resupply/reinforcement routes as part of NATO? Note that they are not mutually exclusive, and shipping to the UK/Europe terminates in the Eastern Atlantic whatever the original source. A warship (or other unit) can be deployed East of Suez and redeploy if needed, as part of the NATO 30/30/30/30 initiative. Within thirty days, NATO will be able to deploy thirty major warships, thirty squadrons of combat aircraft, and thirty mechanised infantry battalions

2. ASW helicopters - a bit of a disagreement between those of us who can do basic Maths and those with experiencing of operating helicopters at sea, and those with experience in the land environment or Googling things. The extra ninety minutes of endurance that Merlin has compared to MH-60R or NH-90 really does make a difference, as does the Observer and avionics suite.

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 27th Jan 2021 at 19:28.