PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2021, 17:59
PinguGoesFlying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello

Just looking through this forum. Am a career changer, wound down my old business late 2019 with the intent of training modular, but full time, left school at 18 & been self employed for 12 years, with enough in the bank to cover the training costs a few times over - no debts, but no degree either (UK).

I am 31 (32 in Feb) and passed my PPL back in March 2020, days before the world went into this tailspin.

Been working on the theory through lockdown and am sitting on 95% average no failures on 10/14 ATPL subjects (taking the last 4 in a month). Class 1 medical, no issues.

Bit unnerved by some comments that airlines prefer younger, realistically, what is the typical age for intake into airline cadet schemes??? Been looking at the Ryanair Gateway schemes with Bartolini & VA in Cambridge - seen some posts on here saying Ryanair - off the record - aren't interested in older.

I am aware of the dreadful jobs market, was dreadful when I was 18 (in 2008 financial crash) but it recovered.

My question, I am certain that the airlines will recover, but if that is slow & realistically my first chance at a job is late 30's (assuming CPL etc is all passed this year, then a few years treading water if there are no jobs). Do I stand a chance, or am I in the wind