PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ME IR(H) training provider recommendations UK
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 19:43
Blesshuey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you decide on Babcock, IIRC you will end up having less flying time on the aircraft (most probably a 135?) as the simulator is an FFS class, thereby allowing training to be carried out in the sim.
I would personally want as much time in the aircraft itself, as humanly possible.

Think carefully on the single engine IR; it may not cost a lot to convert but should you be lined up against other candidates with an ME IR it could be a serious factor in the decision made by the employer....

I would also—without question—get booked in for the MCC. It’s an extra bit of dosh but in the grand scheme of things it gets you job-ready.

A LOT can be said about being the “right person/right candidate” etc when it comes to getting that first position. But in reality if you turn up to the North Sea with no ME rating and no MCC, why would they employ you over someone who is ready to go? You might be the nicest guy/gal in the world and done lots of charity work and Duke of Edinburgh’s but you’ll be having to slot into the Operators training programme....those MCC’s and ME ratings may be the overriding factor influencing the final decision.

Good luck with it and remember to enjoy! The IR is a fantastic course. IFR flying is different....and that is it.

Ive heard really good things about Starspeed. Good sim, nothing flash and fancy like a level D sim but, PBN equipped and let’s face it - after 10mins you’ll be white-knuckling the cyclic and getting slippery sweaty hands on that thing called a collective....I jest. They are a nice bunch of people and they’ll let you go back to the sim for brush ups once you’re done and getting ready for interview.

Congrats on getting this far, despite what some individuals may say....there ARE jobs out there for low experience Pilots. All you need is a bit of timing....I think that the North Sea will be looking for co-pilots for the next 2 years at least.

BH.