PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 18:09
Climb150

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by morno
California. Paramedics told not to transport patients to hospital who have a grim outlook, and I’m not just talking about Covid patients. Paramedics told to limit the use of oxygen, due to low supply.

I can’t be arsed finding links to the stories that proves it, but they’d be very easy to find.
Seems to be a bit of a scaremongering by the news networks. This from NPR,

Well, actually, it is best practice to resuscitate patients in cardiac arrest in the field where they are found. That is our normal protocol in LA County. So the shift towards not transporting patients who do not have restoration of pulse is a relatively small change. These patients have very limited chance of survival. And so these are the patients that we're asking the paramedics to call in to our base hospitals, discuss with the base physician and determine if further resuscitation is futile and therefore terminate resuscitation on scene. We are continuing to resuscitate patients in cardiac arrest, and we continue to transport all patients in whom our paramedics are able to resuscitate in the field
Another gem from the same article,

And I say that because I see how people are still congregating in groups and making decisions to have family gatherings or New Year's parties. And these decisions are what continues to impact our health care system.

So the LA ambulance system is being overwhelmed by people who probably seem not to take advice seriously.