PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continuing ATPLs with UK CAA after starting with Austro
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 09:25
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jr6565
So am I right in thinking there's no exam validity issues with potentially leaving it years after your SEIR/CPL to do an MEP/MEIR/MCC/JOC/UPRT, even with the uncertainty around my Austro exams.
Nope. The 36 month period is for getting a CPL and *an* IR. After that if you want another IR there are no further exams required. (Generally the next IR would be an MEIR or a first MP IR as part of a type rating, but you could also do a helicopter IR if you really wanted)

As far as the ATPL validity goes, they're good for 7 years from your last IR validity, which means worst case scenario you could do an IR test every 7 years and they'd still be valid. I'd guess that 90% of airline pilots allow their MEIR to lapse (I did!) as they all have to do a MP IR test yearly anyway...

As an aside, it's worth having an SEIR if you intend to keep flying SEP once you're flying multi pilot - it's the only IR you can revalidate without having to take a test. If you fly 3 approaches/departures you can attach a copy of your last LPC and they'll renew it by experience.