PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mooney accident pilot refused a clearance at 6,500'
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 07:46
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ixixly
Here's my question to the masses here that doesn't seem to have been actually answered so far, WHY was this Pilot denied a clearance through Class D Airspace in this circumstance? And No, I don't think "Workload" in this case is a valid reason and seems to be some kind of coverall being used.
As I read it he wasn't denied a clearance through D. The D controller offered a VFR clearance but at 1000' (I assume due cloud - the controller cannot offer a clearance if it would put a VFR aircraft in cloud so offered a clearance that would keep him VMC). I interpreted it as the D controller trying to appropriately accomodate the request by the pilot.

It was the C controller who didn't give the clearance (why he was talking to the D controller). I agree it probably would have ended differently had a clearance in C been given and the denial is a factor and should be addressed.

However the pilot still (IMO) bears a larger responsibility, being denied a clearance should not have been a big deal - a prudent diversion should also have resulted in a safe outcome - or even some polite negotiation ("eg is there an alternative clearance available at a different altitude or track or can I hold until clearance will become available? I need to avoid weather"). The pilot seemed to have had a strong case of push-on-itis which is sadly one very repeated cause of VFR->IMC->accident since aviation began.

As far as no flight review goes - seems more a symptom than a cause. I doubt a recent FR would have changed much for this accident but by avoiding it that raises (to me) a red flag about the pilot's attitude which I do think is a significant factor in the accident.

We all (I assume) agree accidents have multiple causes and establishing them and looking at ways of mitigating them helps improve safety - little can be done to change the pilot's actions in this case however certainly worth asking about any reluctance to give clearances and if this is a problem and if it can be handled better.