PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using Rank on Retirement
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 20:47
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
At the end of the last century I was flying out of Tianjin, not the airfield, but the dock area. Security was provided by the Chinese Navy and as the company got along very well with the Navy, our pilots were recruited from them, so I travelled to work in the back of a Navy registered Hyundai Sonata saloon.

Mid winter, -20 at night rocketing up to +5 during the day. I normally had a jersey with a PLA overcoat on top but this day I was meeting a client so I had my four-ringed regalia on. As the minion opened the gate he looked at me and sprang to attention as if his life depended on it; it probably did.

Later in the day as we approached the gate the gatekeeper halted us for some time . That’s when the guards strode out of the guardroom and stood to attention. I thought that this was a good idea so next morning I sat in the back with my best kit on and acknowledged the parade as I passed.

Not knowing the penalty for impersonating a military office in China I mentioned it to the local staff on the unit. When I returned from my flight they told me that they had been around to find out who this VIP was.

When we went through the gate there was no parade or bowing and scraping. Just a surly slamming of the gates behind us.

Last edited by Fareastdriver; 22nd Jan 2021 at 21:07.