PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using Rank on Retirement
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 15:30
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Caramba
... A curious thing to say. Prior research will usually reveal a lot of extraneous roles, but means nothing about skill. Professors of surgery are renowned for being totally handless. And Mr is definitely not above Dr. ........ BTW if it’s the Mr E I knew, he was pretty good at squash.
I agree with you in that you can get "Senior Idiots" but, in this case, his clear "High Seniority" (no guarantee - agreed) combined with the totally relaxed, unpretentious and down-to-earth way he conducted the initial consultation appealed to the Engineer in me. There was no BS at all. Hence the "no hesitation" on my part to await his return. And to be top of the field across so many roles (I'd put them down quite highly on the QA/Governance side of that game) leads one to suspect that he is well respected - given the litigation which bedevils the Medical world these days. Sadly, of his skills on the squash court, I am uninformed!

Regarding a Mr being above a Dr, theoretically there should be a difference just on experience alone. However, as we have seen from our discussion of Service personnel, you get all sorts at all levels. In this particular case, even one of the Dr's on the team involved confided in me that "You are in the very best hands - by a loooong way!". By that time they all knew I was not worried at all by what was about to happen and, in the way it was said, it seemed to me to be very much an afterthought. It came across as a genuine sign of respect rather than "I better reassure this trembling wreck of a patient that he'll be OK!".

You probably know far more than I do on such matters - TBH, I avoid the world of "Quackerey" as much as I can - but, in this case, I had no option! Apologies for Thread Drift!!