PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using Rank on Retirement
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 14:04
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DON T
Strangely Consultant Surgeons cease to be called Dr and revert to Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms etc....
Fascinating! I did wonder how it worked as a Mr Edmondson had the dubious task of refurbishing my Main Re-circulation Pump fitting a plastic valve in and so on a couple of years ago. I was initially a bit concerned the NHS was using local plumbers, possibly with a background in comedy, brought in to ease the backlog or something. But, thru some basic research, seems he was "only" the Trusts Cardiac Clinical Director, their Chief of Surgery and the Chair of the Clinical Board overseeing 5 London Hospitals in all 3 roles!

In my consultation ahead of Surgery he said "Well, Mr H 'n' H, I can do your Op myself but I have 4 weeks work booked in and then have to take some Leave and so I'm away for a further 3 weeks of golf so I can arrange for a colleague to step in if you wish." to which my instant response was "Sir, you have a fabulous 3 weeks golf! I'll see you on the operating table when you get back if that's OK with you!". Natural respect comes to those like Mr E who was totally unassuming - only prior research revealed who he really was .... and showed he was well deserving of the informal title of "Sir" rather than "Mr" and well above "Dr"!

If I'd gone Private, I dare not think how much that would have cost me - as it was the whole NHS Team were brilliant. Oh, and it seemed he'd had a really great 3 weeks batting golf balls round various greens in some sunny, exotic climes!!! He was quite taken aback when that was the first (and about the only) question I asked him when we met up 8 weeks later! I figured that he'd done about 10,000 ops so it was just easier to say "Chop away!" and not worry about it. Still clicking happily away as I type this!