PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot fined for landing at a closed RAF Valley
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 13:25
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Can you land at a closed military airbase in America or Canada then? Serious question
You can only land on a "closed" runway in a serious emergency in Canada. The runway may be closed by "X's", or Notam, your responsibility to know. Military bases, and private property runways require the owner's permission in advance - for military, 24 hours in advance, and hard to get. Private runway operators are usually more forgiving, though I do see a few private runways which are "X'd", so the intent is clear. There are a few private "company" owned airports, where prior permission is required, and rarely given - Bombardier's "Downsview" Airport in central Toronto is one. When I worked there, I did obtain permission to fly to work, but it was a big deal.

There is a private ski resort airport in the western US, which is very serious about do not land on our privately owned runway. I have read a number of news stories over the years, where a ski happy private pilot lands in anyway (probably with the: It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission approach), and is told that the plane will not be taking off - ever. I have read about planes being trucked out with the wings removed - a very strong message! But, it's private property, and well identified as such.

From what I read in the news article, I would not rush to defend the pilot, It seems his choices showed disrespect on several levels. He was lucky to be allowed to fly the plane out.