PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ME IR(H) training provider recommendations UK
Old 21st Jan 2021, 21:22
gipsymagpie

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Nineteen84
Hi folks - I'm looking for a training provider for the ME (IR) and ME type rating in the UK (spring/summer this year). Can anyone share advice/recommendations regarding UK based training providers, specifically, would any in particular have better chances of offering a co-pilot position compared with others for someone who has just obtained an IR with no experience? I'm aware from speaking to people in the industry that it is indeed possible, as there are newly qualified IR holders who have recently succeeded in getting co-pilot positions.

I've already obtained costs from Starspeed, Sloane, Helicopter Services and Babcock so I'm aware of the differences in terms of costs but have no idea which would give better chances of finding work, or which have better facilities, etc. Location is not an issue.

Thanks!
Babcock is the only one of the 4 that has substantial multi pilot operations, both in the HEMS/Air Ambulance and offshore sides. I know of quite a few guys who have gone straight from the IR into jobs as co pilots. HEMS isn’t necessarily great for progression though (due low annual hours) to your magic number for ATPL though. The huge advantage of Babcock is their full motion sim matches the aircraft used for the test and you’re effectively getting a job interview the whole time you’re there. You can also of course do the MCC in the same sim. There’s also a lot of read-across and common terminology between the sim (ec135) and the likely multi pilot aircraft (h145). I’ve done training with all of them except Sloanes and all are professional organisations - you really have to find some past customers for their take. You should also consider Castle Air but I personally didn’t like their Fixed Base sims, nor the AW109 as an iFR aircraft for your initial IR (I did do my IR there but mostly due to operating the AW109 in my job)

Last edited by gipsymagpie; 21st Jan 2021 at 21:23. Reason: Number error