PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow May 1968
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2021, 20:14
eckhard

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Monique Agazarian (ex ATA) used to run a “simulator” in a hotel at Victoria Station with Graham Percival in the early 70s. It was a Frasca-like machine, based on a Cessna 150 with limited motion. The “visual” display was a ten-foot-diameter ring of hardboard with a typical British countryside scene painted on it, representing the view from about 3000ft, within which the simulator rotated (yawed), with a token amount of pitch and roll thrown in for good measure. IMC could be simulated by a frosted screen over the windshield.

Monique taught me basic IF, VDF, VOR, ADF and ILS, all before I had finished my PPL. Needless to say, when I did my IMC rating training a few years later, it was fairly straightforward and the good habits that she instilled served me well for the IR too. She and Graham (who I believe was ex CFS) followed what I think was the RAF syllabus, using the “half-bar” technique of selecting and maintaining pitch attitude, as well as the selective radial scan for general IF. We flew Patterns ‘A’ and ‘B’ and could even fly full approach procedures. The results were recorded on some kind of plotter on the far side of the hardboard horizon.

She was a gifted instructor, as well as as a vivacious raconteuse. She told me about her time at Heathrow, running a Dragon Rapide for joyrides. It was a privilege to have been the recipient of her wise words.

I think she ended up moving the simulator to Wycombe Air Park.