PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Film V1's shooting from a submarine ?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2021, 22:53
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by 134brat
If we are ever allowed to travel again I would highly recommend a visit to the excellent Steven F Udvar Hazy centre near Dulles Airport. Among all the other famous and fascinating aircraft you can see one of the (maybe the only) surviving US Navy V1s in a fetching all over bright yellow paint scheme. It was a revelation to me when I saw it.
There are two really great aviation museums in the Washington DC area - the main Smithsonian Air and Space museum, just off the Capitol Mall, and the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy annex near Dulles (although even pre-pandemic, part of the main A&S museum was closed for remodeling, they are rotating the remodel so that much of the museum was still open). The only other aviation museum that is in the same league (at least in the US) is the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio.

The concept continued with the Regulus missile and if you ever visit New York go and visit USS Growler which was Regulus equipped submarine.
Located next to the USS Intrepid museum (WWII Essex class aircraft carrier) - both worth the visit if you're in NYC.