PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK suspending flights from East Coast Oz
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2021, 21:03
rivercat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Climb150
I don't know of one accommodation block that has been demolished on any active base in the last 20 years.

As for infantry and artillery doing their day jobs, are we off fighting any conflicts at the moment? No, most military people are training all the time which is what they do when not overseas. As none of our military (apart from navy) is going anywhere anytime soon, maybe they can be utilized somewhere else?

I will admit most military accommodation is pretty basic but hardly any still have shared bathrooms and wouldn't require much to get up to standard.

Friends of mine who finally got home after having numerous flights cancelled, said they would have done quarantine in a tent if that was what's required.
There's been quite a few demolished as previously mentioned and those that remain are generally shared ablutions. Also there are still quite a few people that live on base, especially army personnel.

It's a slippery slope to suggest utilising military personnel because they are just 'training.' What are they training for? Their primary roles for one. A lot of job profiles require a high level of proficiency that deteriorates significantly. There have been and still are a large number of personnel assigned to covid tasking. It would lead to a significant gap in capability that is not easily rectified if too many people are taken away from their primary roles. It's not the simple and consequence free solution you make it out to be.

There are still overseas ops occuring, you just may not be aware of them.