PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using Rank on Retirement
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2021, 17:51
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pasta
This is going back a bit, but my school was full of them; mostly Army, but I remember a few Navy too. One always had to refer to them as Major xxx, Commander yyy, Capt zzz etc. "...............
Interesting that my own experience was almost diametrically different. Members of staff might mention their wartime experience in passing but made little of it; after all everyone had been involved and done something. It was only in later years when the obituaries started to be published that I learned the Headmaster had a “good war’ in small craft in the Far East, the Head of English had completed 2 tours as a navigator in Bomber Command; the senior modern languages master had his after action reports quoted by Max Hastings in Armageddon. Finally there was the former Wren who taught geography and spoke fluent German. It was only when her old friends were contacted after her death that it became known that she had spent her war at Bletchley Park. She never breathed a word about it.

I cannot recall rank ever being mentioned, it wasn’t necessary. We were fortunate to have been taught by them.

YS