PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC 130 down at the Grand Canyon
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2021, 14:34
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
In the discussion of this accident in one of the Facebook rotorcraft groups, a guy - presumably a pilot but you never know - said, "I believe the primary cause of this accident was LTE."

It seems that there is a whole generation of pilots who've come to accept the myth of "Loss of Tail Rotor Effectiveness." They believe that the tail rotor can somehow get into a condition ("cavitation?") where it stops producing thrust and the helicopter will spin around like a top even with full power-pedal applied. This of course is nonsense. But pilots are loathe to apply and hold *full* pedal, even if it's called for. Because...I guess...if you do that in a hover when you're near a power limit, you could easily have an engine temperature or torque exceedance. And nobody wants that! But it's hard to understand why pilots would accept a crash as opposed to saving their skin.

The thing to remember...well, *two* things to remember are that: 1) The helicopter is a big weathervane and wants to point itself into the wind; and 2) As long as it's spinning, the tail rotor *never* stops working. If more pilots would just understand these two basic things, I'd bet there'd be fewer crashes where the pilot gets out and says, "It was LTE! The aircraft failed me!"