PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2021, 08:50
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pete, short answer, it wasn't introduced in Feb 64. Flight refuelling was introduced much much earlier with record breaking flights to Africa and Australia. There had also been trials for airborne alert.

The reason for introducing inflight refuelling to the Vulcan Mk 2 force and specifically the Coningsby Wing was for the Far East reinforcement role. The V-Force had two reinforcement operations: the Near East where two squadrons would be based at RAF Luqa, and initially this was assigned to the Waddington Wing and the Far East where it was assigned to the Cottesmore/Honington Wing.
In Malta a purpose build apron was built. At Tengah two purpose built sqn complexes were built.
The Far East plan required the rapid reinforcement by two sqns of 16 aircraft. Flight refuelling offered the opportunity to deploy the two squadrons in 24 to 48 hours. It would require the Valiant tanker force to deploy and set up the route with tankers at El Adem, Khormaksar and Gan. I don't know how many tankers would be required but they would have been on a continuous rotation to meet the bombers. The Coningsby Wing assumed the role in September 1964 before it had worked up to an IOC. The grounding of the Valiants put an end to the Valiant/Vulcan training. In April 1965 the Cottesmore Wing deployed 2 squadrons via Akrotiri, Bahrein (I think) and Gan without flight refueling.
The Victor K1 limitations precluded a similar operation and the planned draw down from East of Suez ended the need.
The grounding of the Valiants, the planned withdrawal of the Victor and the withdrawal of the Mk 1a Vulcans reduced the UK contribution to SACEURs nuclear arsenal and the Government (Harold Wilson) was under pressure not to reduce our contribution further be having a permanent detachment in the Far East.