PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is a/g no longer safe?
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2003, 05:28
Zlin526

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An A/G service should not affect the safety of an airfield. Pilots should make their own decisions, have impeccable airmanship and not resort to the MS Flight Simulator type of flying in the circuit. There's enough road rage on the roads.

Aviation will always attract Wers, but I think we've covered this thread before.

Speak to Air Traffic Services Dept at the CAA and they will advise.

IO540,

Also there are great many people, some simply "macho men", some are people who hate using the radio, and some who fly planes without an electrical system, and all of these are against what they regard as an infringement of their civil liberties and personal freedoms
Most of the people that choose not to use a radio do so because of the very reasons mentioned at the start of this thread. I personally don't like using a radio, even when I have one in the aeroplane, but I don't consider myself 'Macho', just a pilot who likes to exercise the privalege of flying without being told what to do by somebody on the ground, and to make MY own decisions regarding MY own safety. Civil Liberties don't come into it at all. Besides, I can never see the dials on the modern radios

....that full ATC (which is the only legal way to stop people carving you up on the inside when you are turning base, etc)
Legality is not an issue here. People will cut you up whatever ATC service you have. I've had a airline Shorts 330 cut me up whilst I was head down on a practice ILS approach into an extremely busy airport in the South West before. Just as well my instructor had his eyes peeled.. The airport in question had full TWR/APP in use, yet the 330 pilot still managed it.

Poor airmanship, poor lookout and not being aware of what's happening in the circuit are almost certainly the main causes.

I fly from a busy airfield with an A/G service and there is GA flying, parachuting, helicopter flying, aerobatics overhead, ballooning, the occasional glider dropping in and large model flying. We all fly there in perfect harmony, and safely because all of us respect and know what the other pilots are doing. Most of the time without even talking on the radio..

Last edited by Zlin526; 10th Dec 2003 at 05:41.