PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Pilot YouTuber...
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2021, 02:18
Squawk7700

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewr
It looks like from 2010 to 2019 Avalon Class E operated as effectively Class D. Instrument CASA 178/10 required a pilot to maintain 2 way communication with the tower while operating in the airspace. That would constitute a clearance in Class D.

Instrument CASA 178/10 was repealed in 2019.

I can see how someone who worked from their charts and/or how they were trained instead of keeping up with the legislative instruments might make mistakes. It also seems reasonable to be cautious - I don't know whether Instrument 178/10 has been replaced by something with similar effect.
I can’t recall the entry being ERSA and I don’t have an old one to check, however I assume there must have been a one-liner in there saying that you had to pretend the class E is like class D and make calls in class E, like no other class E anywhere else (presumably), to a controller that is not based on the ground and not in direct contact with the aircraft in class C below. Makes sense!

So it looks like you can blast through the class E there as you please now. There’s no mention of any instruments in the ERSA that replace the old one.

Not confusing at all eh???

I recall entering the class E there a few years ago and being vectored around other aircraft by Melb approach and on one occasion I was advised to completely steer clear of the whole area due to some incoming aircraft in case they needed to go-around.