PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mooney accident pilot refused a clearance at 6,500'
Old 19th Jan 2021, 23:57
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
The text in my letter to Greg Hood of 18 September 2020 is self-explanatory - see below:

Dear Greg

Further to my letter of 16 March 2020 regarding the fatal Mooney crash on 20 September 2019, I trust that your report will make it absolutely clear that the reason for the attached direction for Airservices to put in an approach radar facility at places like Coffs Harbour was to move away from the “road block” airspace.

As shown in the attached letter, a previous consultant to the CAA, Mr Tony Broderick (the ex-FAA Flight Standards Deputy Associate Administrator and head of the Regulation and Certification Complex) had made it absolutely clear that Class C could not be operated safely without an approach radar facility.

I explained that the way we did it in Australia was simply to deny a clearance to the VFR aircraft, with the associated safety implications.

This appears to be what happened in the case of the Mooney accident.

Please make sure these important points are covered, as well as the fact that Airservices has not complied with the direction.

Best regards

Dick Smith
I would like to make it very clear, because I was involved at the time, that the only reason for the Minister’s directive was to prevent accidents such as the Mooney crash west of Coffs Harbour.

It is simply unconscionable that the ATSB does not mention this.