PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mooney accident pilot refused a clearance at 6,500'
Old 19th Jan 2021, 21:52
Lookleft

Received 195 Likes on 90 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how people will just read what supports their bias in these accident reports. I am very much of the view that a PIC needs to take that responsibility seriously and plan for contingencies that are within their control, fuel, weather navigation etc. Have another read and note what this PIC did not do that had a significant influence on the sequence of events. Did not have a recent BFR

Based on the available information, the ATSB concluded that the pilot had not met the CASR Part 61 flight review requirements and, as such, did not hold the required licence to undertake the
flight.
Did not have any charts or EFB available to at least have some understanding of terrain and most likely did not obtain a weather forecast

The ATSB also found that the pilot was not carrying suitable navigation equipment and had most likely not obtained the required weather forecasts. These factors reduced the pilot's ability to
manage the flight path changes and identify the high terrain. This led to the aircraft being descended toward the high terrain in visibility conditions below that required for visual flight, resulting in controlled flight into terrain.
ATC contributed in part by not providing a clearance but as it states in the report.the PIC could have taken a route that did not put him in the high ground.

While it was the pilot’s decision to descend from 6,500 ft and continue along the direct track instead of other available safe options, this decision was likely influenced by the information provided by the controller
I always challenge the assertion that ATC tell pilots what to do. any pilot who thinks that will come unstuck. I have heard it said that ATC will kill you if you let them. In this accident the PIC was along for the ride just as much as his unfortunate passenger was. The Australian system is far from perfect but it is what it is and to operate in it you have to be up to speed on how it works. Transits through coastal CTZ should not be a rarity but denial of a clearance is always a possibility and should be planned for. The lesson out of this report to pilots is stay current. plan your trip and accept your responsibility as PIC. With the information provided in the report this bloke did none of that and the unfortunate confluence of circumstance lead to his death and that of his passenger. If he had got a clearance through Coffs then maybe the accident would not have happened but with such an attitude to his responsibilities it was possibly only a matter of time before it did.