PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Training questions (UK)
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2021, 17:05
Plain1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PPL Training questions (UK)

HI all

3 years after I did a taster lesson in a DA20, (CubAir Redhill) and with some luck in saving, I've decided that 2021 will be the year I finally try and get my PPL! But inevitably I have concerns that I'm not doing this properly.

I'll let you guys see my proposed plan, and if anything obvious jumps out as daft can you let me know?

OK, so firstly I know I should do my Class 2 medical check before I start any training. The school I had my taster lesson recommends one based at the same place as them. I assume this doesn't represent a conflict of interests. I'm 42 and in pretty good health, don't drink much, don't smoke, not overweight, regularly sporty, so I don't imagine this to be a problem

Location wise I'm roughly between Biggin Hill and Redhill. Probably closer to BH. But I've heard with it being so busy can result in less time actually flying and a fair amount of sitting and waiting whilst the litany of private jets get priority, so I'm erring towards Redhill. The lesson I had at Cubair was enjoyable, and the instructor seemed good. Though I must admit I was concentrating, so I wasn't very chatty! At Biggin, I see reasonable reviews for EFG, but don't know anyone there. In fact I don't know anyone with a PPL in the real world so I cant ask for recommendations. Also to think about is the surface. BH being paved and Redhill being grass. Is one more favourable to a complete beginner? I've seen the phrase "brakes off to brakes on" Is that a good thing? Or can you end up sat just off a runway for 20mins very easily?

Plane choice. This is where I'm semi open. Cubair use Katana DA20s and EFG go for PA28s. I seriously doubt I will ever go on to do a CPL. But I recall that some of the larger CPL schools prefer DA20s and some lean towards Pipers, so I would like for the training to give me options if I ever find myself in that position. (Or at least not really restrict me) Or does it not really matter in the long term. DA20 obviously has a stick and the PAs have a Yoke. Is there a preference? Is there a snobbery even?

Time Frame
Everything I've read says that you shouldn't go too long between lessons as it's a skill that you need to build on regularly. I was thinking to start in probably April ish and aim to have passed by September-ish Is that a feasible time frame? Too ambitious? Would people recommend booking 3-4-5 hours every 2/3 weeks. TBH I'm sure some people just smash through it in 2 weeks or so, but I'm not looking to rush it. Suggestions welcome. Similarly is there non flight related things I could be looking to start now, books to study etc so that time in the plane is spent learning to fly and not wasted on things I could have done at home. On that note, how much time is prudent for home studies per week?

Contingencies. Again I'm sure some people pass everything first time in the minimum about of time, but I'm human, so I guess there'll be things I don't do perfectly. So based on others experience, how many hours seem normal 50? 60? Obviously there's a cost angle to remember, but if you see headline figure say £15K is that realistic or are you looking at £18-20K when all is said and done? I have seen that others say you shouldn't pre pay for hours. But both schools I've mentioned offer discounts the more you buy, so is there a happy medium there? Say no more than 5 or 10 hours in one go?

Thanks all for reading. Over to you guys to correct the glaring mistakes!