PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was MCAS needed?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2021, 09:50
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by RVF750
..............As to Airbus, yuk. I've tried my whole career to avoid theying one. I like feel and feedback, thank you very muchly.

I always thought the answer for FBW sidesticks was to mount the whole stick and force sensing assembly on a moving base............. It was certainly a trick Airbus missed.
I am interested to know if you have actually been type rated onto Airbus FBW? I have flown them for 13 years and personally don't think the FBW side-sticks need an "answer"; they work very well.

Having previously been type rated on four different makes of conventional aircraft; I took to the Airbus FBW like a duck to water. You either see and feel your control limits through a yoke the old fashioned way, or you feel that you are at neutral or have reached the limit of the side-stick quadrant on the Airbus. That and the PFD is all the feedback I need.

The Airbus side-stick and FBW relationship is very poorly taught, I grant you. No TREs I asked ever properly explained to me how to use the side-stick, and eventually I taught myself. Initial training is hampered by not having linked controls - I learned a lot in my early days on turbo-props when Captains would invite me to "follow them through on the controls.