PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was MCAS needed?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2021, 08:21
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
What puzzles me is the difference in the stick force criteria and the real world!
My UK instructors Bible circa 1969 BLAC flight instructors manual has no mention of increasing back pressure or stick position in the stalling exercises nor theory.
Likewise my British Gliding Association instructor manual from 2005.
Never during heavy metal simulator stall exercises has any one mentioned stick pressure.
The only times I’ve had the death rattle go was on approach in turbulence on the Trident..whether incorrect load and genuine or the system I was never told but there wasn’t any “ohh the stick force warned me” moments.
I’ve flown several gliders where it doesn’t change although a few have rudimentary springs used for trimming which do have increased force purely due to the stretch.
Model aircraft controllers..the most difficult aircraft I’ve flown..have simple centring springs iirc with a parallel mechanism.
The only increasing force requirement in my real world is on low performance paragliders which is intended to stop low airtime pilots stalling inadvertently...say he who has accidentally stalled and spun them.
Off hand I can remember five occasions where colleagues got stall warnings or stalled.
Two were with incorrect droop selection, one at low speed which ended up in a field, the second extended at two high a Mach number and went through several levels in a holding stack before control was regained.
The third was a mate who was too busy talking during an intermediate level off having forgotten to engage auto throttle.
The final pair were both on visual approach into Nice on the then new Fokker 100 which supposedly had an all talking autothrottle and stall protection system which it didn’t.
Stick force didn’t come into it.
IMHO whoever drew up the requirements should have been an experienced pilot rather than a bean counter.

Last edited by blind pew; 19th Jan 2021 at 08:36.