PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK suspending flights from East Coast Oz
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2021, 19:05
blubak

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by lucille
The reason for restricting arrival numbers is a lack of secure quarantine space. As events have now shown, capital city quarantine hotels are not leak proof.

So here’s another perspective to consider beside your own needs. There have been severe lockdowns and restrictions forced on the residents here in order to very nearly suppress the virus. Why would you expect them to throw away this sacrifice so that expat Australians can arrive willy nilly - with enhanced likelihood of bringing yet more variants of the virus here?

As a former expat for over 35 years, I never once expected to be rescued by the government. We always had funds stashed away for contingencies along with Plans A, B and C. Everyone I knew and worked with did the same. Once you become an expat, you’ve left the system and shouldn’t really have any expectation that the very system you’ve left should come and rescue you.
Your take on this makes sense & unfortunately from a lot of what i am reading here,the frustration is getting ahead of your common sense approach.
I take on board the quarantine system isnt perfect but like you say the people who have lived here since it all started are entitled to be protected & dont need a repeat of the last few months(particularly in victoria & yes,the govt stuffed up big time).
Many expats would never have considered returning to oz if covid hadnt raised its ugly head & well done to them for taking the risk to go elsewhere for better employment however like you point out a plan b or c was never thought of.
Of course there are many cases of people being stranded at the moment & i cant imagine how that feels but in reality what country in the world has rules or restrictions that suit everybody at any 1 time.
Right now,a group of entitled tennis players are demanding easing of rules because they dont like them & amazingly there are people in the community that support them.