PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 48th FW Lakenheath
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2021, 21:15
Two's in
Below the Glidepath - not correcting

Received 60 Likes on 18 Posts
I'll go willingly into the withering hail of fire. Language is by its very nature an evolutionary beast. What we speak today already sounds quite different from what we used even 50 years ago. The good news is the basic structure and syntax of language remains (fairly) stable but, quelle surprise, language associated with technology moves at the most rapid pace. Tweet, hashtag, blog, on-line, download etc. are either new words, or are used in a completely different manner to when they were first penned. Those of us current or former military types are the worst offenders. We use acronyms, mnemonics, abbreviations and jargon for two reasons - to summarize what we say and of course, to exclude others not in "the club". As we have discussed ad nauseum on these hallowed pages, the atrocities committed by foreign countries on the English language are the worst. It sounds enticingly similar but then some jarring crime against humanity will occur with a misspelled noun or a casually placed adverb , and off we go declaring war.

I live in a twilight world, where I know it is a Shhh-edule, but in order to communicate quickly and effectively with my colleagues, it becomes a Sk-edule. Don't get me started on Stah-tus and Stay-tus. The point is, I can spend all day establishing my linguistic superiority, or I can adopt a speech pattern that makes the day go much quicker for everyone. So when the good Major Sybil says "plus-up", she can be reasonably sure that the 1.5 million uniformed (as opposed to uninformed) members of the US DOD understand that she means "increase". I'm sure she would be crushed to know that her ability to communicate via the medium of the United States Air Force magazine has not reached all her audience, in fact, she's probably chapped.