PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Valley & Missile Practice Camps
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2021, 14:53
MAINJAFAD

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EXFIN
Many thanks for all the info you've posted, of great value. The unit in June 1967 with Red Top & Firestreak firing were probably 74 Sqn as there's an enthusiast log of 6 of their Lightnings present. One last query! We have a photograph of Sea Vixen FAW.1 XJ475 which was attached to HSA Dynamics at Hatfield for Martel Missile trials. The photo taken at Valley with a Martel on one of the port underwing pylons is purportedly taken Mar/Apr 1967. The aircraft was allocated to the Trials from 27.8.65-7.1.70. Would you have any info on that? Many thanks for your time, Taff
The RAF unit at Aberporth's role was to support the RAF firings, the weapons listed in the F540 during the 1960's are Firestreak, Red Top, Bloodhound Mk 1 and Mk 2, Tigercat and Blue Steel. Martel does not get a mention until Service firing Trials started in around 1974/75. The only non production missile that I noted getting fired was a prototype Bloodhound Mk 2 (XTV1717) which was fired from the RAF equipment to proof the missile telemetry systems on 18th February 1965.

Most of the research and development firings would have been supervised by the RAE range staff and would be in their range logs, if such a document still exists. I would kill to get my hands on such a document as they would fill in a lot of holes in the development of a lot of Guided Weapons..The trials results may be in the MOS / MOA development files at Kew, but if they are anything like Bloodhound, there will be gaps all over the place.