PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brexit and the Aviation industry
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2021, 09:45
621andy

Location: Either somewhere in the 3rd world, the land of cheese and wine, or possibly very occasionally, at home.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to add my 2 penn'orth...

I'm at the lower end of the scale in this lark but it's still bloody chaos.

I have a house in Germany and am registered as living there which I do at least part of the year, the rest of the time I work either in France or Myanmar depending on the time of year. I hold a UK passport.
We were all told the back end of 2019 to convert our UK (CAA) CPLs(Balloons) to a UK EASA licence as after April 2020 we could no longer fly on the old CPL...I believe I was the first mug to do this, closely followed by many others. As a bonus we could keep our UK CPLs for a small(35 quid) fee for use in countries who still preferred to validate UK licences rather than EASA ones(Such as Myanmar- however they now also accept EASA...).
This all would, we were assured, ensure we could legally operate in Europe as well as the UK; All well and good, but surely someone high up must've known that come Brexit it could all go tits-up, however no mention was made of the what-if at that point: The importance was to convert the licence ASAP.
Now someone more cynical than me might suggest that this was a blatant money making scheme...with no thought given to the consequences should a no-deal(or sh1te deal) be the result.
Fast forward to now and luckily the Myanmar DCA validated my UK CPL not my EASA BPL else I'd be in the poo now...However I'm now in the position of
1. Not being able to fly French registered balloons
2. Not being able to work in France for more than 3 months
3. Not being able to keep 'recent' on a friends German registered balloon
Thanks a bundle

The suggestion has been made that I renew my recently lapsed French licence(Lapsed due to my not needing it as I had shiny new EASA licence-Ha!) and then convert it to a French EASA licence and NOT mention the UK EASA licence to them at all... As to working there then the only option as my contract is for 4 1/2 months is to try and get a Carte de Sejour for the duration...Tres amusant