PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is a/g no longer safe?
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2003, 02:04
FNG
Not so N, but still FG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ludwig, if it's as bad as you say, you might send in a CHIRP. It sounds as though the problems you describe derive more from the culture of the place than from anything inherent in operating air/ground radio only. To offer a contrast to the situation which you describe, very busy airfelds such as White Waltham operate successfully with the correct (and minimal) use of air to ground radio. I am not sure that adopting a Flight Info Service would necessarily solve the problems. It could even make things worse, as I've noticed that FIS sometimes encourages radio operators to start behaving like Controllers when they are not and sometimes encourages pilots to start behaving as though they are flying within a magic shield, held aloft and saved from crashing into anyone by the kindly radio waves. Incidentally, the same can sometimes be said of the effects of ATC, salutary though they may be in general: the bloke in the Tower can help to prevent the circumstances arising in which you get carved up or smacked into, but can't actually stop it from happening. Anyway, it sounds to me as if the problems at your place start and finish somewhere other than the radio room.