PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 744 Eng Fail and Vmcg
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2021, 01:13
tcasblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4468
I’m surprised to have to admit, I can’t find anywhere that ‘recommends’ heels on the floor! 😳

I’m also scratching my head to recall what I did during my 6 years on A319/320/321? The more I think about it, maybe I did fly those take offs with feet up???

But I’m absolutely certain I never did that in the many years spent on any of the three Boeing types I’ve flown! Nor on the other jetliner I flew. Maybe the difference is purely down to pedal design? Though even Airbus themselves express no specific recommendation.

However in general, my personal preference would be heels down, as I believe the greater consequence is inadvertent (differential?) braking at high speed, or inadvertent disabling of RTO autobrake extending the reject distance. (Both of which I have seen.) Presumably purely to combat a possible low speed runway excursion. All of the above being hypothetical of course.

I see this is a discussion you have been involved in previously.

As I said. My opinion only. Clearly not yours.
When you are doing your captain upgrade on the A320 in a company with a high candidate failure rate and they are giving you low speed engine failures, I suggest having the feet up. Then you can decide on the line what to do. Feet up gives nearly instant full rudder and differential brake allowing one to avoid an accident known as a runway excursion. Never had an engine failure on takeoff in real life, so I can't say if the sim is similar to the airplane. I like feet up.