PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was MCAS needed?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2021, 20:21
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks, TD......

I got the impression from the Boeing "mole" who I will not name but you can see many posts if we have not deleted them.

If you move that big stab you get a ton of change in pitch moment. The normal mode is small changes for the stab and use changes to the elevator. We saw an extreme example with AF447 when the system moved the stab over and over because the pilot held back stick.

Up to me, I would change the FAA 25 rules to account for mechanical feel at the cockpit and then deal with the Airbus stick that has zero feedback. I flew a few thousand hours in jets with zero feedback that did not come from mechanical connections to control surfaces that then let me know the pressure on them. I estimate that 95% of most commercial jets since 1950 never had direct feel of the control surfaces ever.

I have no problem with the stick getting a little light when approaching a high AoA, but that should be shown to the pilots and if deemed a serious problem , use a pusher and or a horn.

The MCAS was a poorly implemented kludge that should have been dealt with using a waiver for its purpose , but then have procedures for the chance it would go rogue.

Logging.... have a great weekend, and geaux Saints.