PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2021, 08:22
KRviator

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
You do realise that elimination in the middle of a global pandemic is not a one shot deal? Do it once and never see it again?
Of course I know that!

I'm not stupid enough to think you can completely eradicate the thing so long as you have international arrivals entering the country. Just like Gladys, the NT Premier and even - to a certain extent now she's been re-elected, Anna-Stayaway. The person you need to convince is Mark McGowan.

He's so hell-bent on this 'concept' of eradication that he thinks it means exactly that. Eradicate, gone, never-to-be-seen-again. Sadly, that isn't the reality. It is out there. It will get out of hotel quarantine again, we will have ongoing community transmission, no matter how well we try not to. And that's the point I made about EnZed. They had "eliminated" it, but it got back and they can't tell you how. Neither can NSW, nor Qld explain how their recent outbreaks made it out of the hotel quarantine system. But it did - and Mark McGoose did his usual trick of closing the door to stop the boogeyman, nevermind the action NSW and Qld took contained it quickly and effectively. If you have an ongoing caseload of 1:1,000,000 citizens, that's an outstanding effort in the global scheme of things. But that isn't good enough for ol' Mark.

So long as we have asreclowns like that, who think the only way to manage an outbreak interstate is to block all arrivals from that state, then that is more of an issue than the virus itself. Nevermind that WA has testified they can handle a COVID caseload of 5,000 active cases in their state. They don't want any and will stop at nothing to ensure it stays that way, no matter the (financial/emotional/personal) cost!