PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2021, 00:06
WingNut60

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by wheels_down
Effective immediately McGoose will fine you $50,000 if your in Perth Airport minus a face mask.
I believe that the penalty mentioned arises from this :
“Breaching directions made under the Emergency Management Act may result in on-the-spot fines of $1,000 for individuals, or where a matter is deemed serious and dealt with under formal criminal charges penalties of up to $50,000 or imprisonment for 12 months may be imposed by the courts.”
The last significant penalty imposed under the WA state regs was a young man who was fined following numerous, flagrant breaches of his self-quarantine directions and subsequently pleaded guilty to 5 counts of Fail to Comply with an Emergency Management Act Direction
He was fined a total of $13,000. (Very lenient in my opinion).

A WA Police spokesperson said that “Breaching directions made under the Emergency Management Act may result in on-the-spot fines of $1,000 for individuals, or where a matter is deemed serious and dealt with under formal criminal charges penalties of up to $50,000 or imprisonment for 12 months may be imposed by the courts.”

In other words, the state law and penalties have not changed. The only change is the adoption of the requirement to wear the mask at all times in airports which is a federal directive arising from a National Cabinet decision.
It applies to NSW as well, though the penalty may vary from state to state.

As far as I can tell, in NSW the penalties which would apply would be for breaches of the Public Health Act 2010.
In the case of an individual, the maximum penalty is $11,000, or imprisonment for 6 months, or both and a further $5500 penalty may apply for each day the offence continues.
The NSW Police may also issue on-the-spot fines of $1000 for an offence.
In the case of any corporation, the maximum penalty is $55,000 and a further $27,500 penalty may apply for each day the offence continues.

Funny though that the papers aren't also saying "Beryl will fine you $11,000 AND stick you in gaol for six months if you don't wear a mask at the airport".