PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 13th Jan 2021, 03:51
pineteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
On your first point I would say the approach is just as important on those bad weather days, and on your second point I DO see the benefit of handflying the approach. Those who leave the A/P in until 1nm from touch-down on a turbulent, crosswind approach, often get a nasty surprise when they finally take the A/P out. They suddenly realise what a challenging day it is that the A/P has been coping with, but have left themselves no time to get their responses up to speed and firmly into the groove of turbulent crosswind flying, so their flare, decrab and "landing" are usually poor in my experience of sitting next to them.

Much better to take the A/P out at 7-10 nm.
Totally agree with you. My worst landing was with a captain who asked me to keep AP ON until the last minute as he wanted to confirm the wind with the tower at 500 feet AAL since we have crosswind limitation for first officers. By the time he read back I was around 400 feet
with tail/crosswind of 15kt. No time to feel the aircraft and ended doing a 1.55G landing.
I always recommend my colleagues if they ask me, to disconnect at latest at 1000 feet to feel the aircraft especially in bumpy conditions. I personally disconnect around 7/8 miles when flying with FDs on.

Originally Posted by Check Airman
raw data at night? sounds dangerous
Right? Flying at night should not be legal at the first place. Too risky.

Last edited by pineteam; 13th Jan 2021 at 04:38. Reason: Added a sentence