PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter drops large air conditioning unit onto Oakland street 10Jan2021
Old 12th Jan 2021, 02:56
Old Farang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordy
Not really. Most down town lifts with the crane are done on short strops. Part of it has to do with safety zones. We have to have a safety zone typically radius of 1.5 times the maximum eight of the aircraft. If you use a 100' line, that adds 150' radius to your safety zone, and that gets expensive when paying for the cops to close more streets.

Typically these are done at first light on Sunday mornings as there is less people around.

Not always, but in this case you may be right. FYI, that "operator" is a pilot and is able to control the whole aircraft from that seat.
Thank you Gordy for a sensible answer. Not being there I am not aware of local ordnances affecting these type of lifts. Although they appear to be lifting from an intersection, it is still like trying to fly in a Canyon in amongst those tall buildings. I still maintain that technically, the strop is WAY to short.

Incidentally, I am endorsed for sling loads, and lost my own helicopter and pilot, plus my business, because of a botched up sling load many years ago.