PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 11th Jan 2021, 16:06
KayPam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vilas
I agree with this. I​​​​​ had said the same thing. It could be more than a couple of times if required. In automated Aircraft it is also important to know the automation well. If to capture the GS from above one has to disconnect the AP it's not professionalism but poor knowledge of automation. Automation is installed for day to day use and not only for Sundays and holidays. Manual flights are to be resorted only to retain raw data skills. Passengers pay to travel safely from A to B and not for somebody's pleasure. Enjoying your profession(which includes using automation) and doing something all the time just for fun is not same. Importantly one has to be loyal to the pay check i.e. company policy and procedures.
Just because you enjoy something does not make it wrong at all.
It can have very good reasons to be done, even if, yes, enjoyment alone is not a good reason.

Nobody is talking about disregarding automation just for fun. Why would you be talking about that ? Did you feel that someone suggested something like this ?
Originally Posted by pineteam
I don’t know which pilots are insisting to fly raw data in all sort of conditions but if that the case I agree it’s looking for trouble. In my outfit we have restrictions on raw data flying in the line. Can not do it if the crosswind is more than 15kt or in case of low cloud base. I fly raw data quite often lately but mostly at my home base and always when the weather is within limit and my partner and I are not too fatigue which lately with the little amount of flying we do is not really an issue.
Does it apply for a 15kt crosswind flare ? Do you follow the FDs in that case ?