PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 11th Jan 2021, 04:51
vilas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ollie Onion
Pilots who insist on flying raw data in all sorts of conditions just to prove something are a pain in the arse and lower the safety margins in a day to day operation. Sure handily when conditions are appropriate but I have always felt it is exaggerated saying we lose our skills unless we continually practice. I have always found the flying of a visual approach a couple of times a month combined with the hand flying work in the sim is more than enough to maintain the required level of skill.
I agree with this. I​​​​​ had said the same thing. It could be more than a couple of times if required. In automated Aircraft it is also important to know the automation well. If to capture the GS from above one has to disconnect the AP it's not professionalism but poor knowledge of automation. Automation is installed for day to day use and not only for Sundays and holidays. Manual flights are to be resorted only to retain raw data skills. Passengers pay to travel safely from A to B and not for somebody's pleasure. Enjoying your profession(which includes using automation) and doing something all the time just for fun is not same. Importantly one has to be loyal to the pay check i.e. company policy and procedures.

Last edited by vilas; 11th Jan 2021 at 06:03.