PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I Need a GPS?
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2003, 19:45
LowNSlow

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
To go back to the original poster's question:

Buy a Garmin Pilot III, it gives you all you need in an easily portable package. It will give you reassurance when you are uncertain. I found that having a GPS and using it as a confirmation of position greatly increased my confidence in my navigation abilities. I also bought an aerial which attaches to the inside of the windscreen with suckers. This avoids the blanking effect the airframe can sometimes have on the satellite signals.

Also buy NavBox Proplan for your PC. Using this you can plan your routes on screen before uploading to your GPS. It'll also print out your plogs for you. Once you have the line drawn on your map and checked your safety heights and that you are not infringing any airspace (cos the airspace on NavBox can be inaccurate) you are ready to go. It's also a load of fun planning fantasy flights. It'll be the best 30 odd quid you've ever spent.

I wouldn't be without the setup described above. My previously faultless Pilot III's internal batteries died on me, pre-flight, once (unit replaced free of charge by Garmin) and this has been the only problem I've experienced with it.