PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I Need a GPS?
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2003, 19:01
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keef, makes my point exactly! I doubt very much that you are either slow or stupid but I also guess that if your daughter is old enough to drive you did not grow up in the electronic age but rather have had to integrate yourself into it as it has been forced onto you?

I grew up in the electronic generation, designing Human Interface Devices once upon a time. Learning to use the Garmin was quick and easy for me. But I agree I would not attempt to learn it in the air. The sensible person learns to use it safely on the ground. In your case through a couple of hours of manual reading and simulation, in my case by sitting and playing with it.

Give a 15 year old a Nintendo, a Play Station and an X-Box and I will guarantee that they are up and playing on them all in minutes while you/we are still working out which end to open the box!

My comment about the guy you saw in IMC still stands, it seems he may have been flying beyond his ability. I sould suggest that reading his map and looking at his stopwatch were the last things on his mind. When he is safely VMC again how does he know his position? His situational awareness by now is totally shot!

Of course I can see why you want to hang onto the "old" ways if you think something as low tech as a Sierra is leading edge high performance!!! Reading a map and controlling a clapped out old Ford is pretty high task loading.....