PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320:Unreliable Airspeed
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2021, 06:46
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vilas
What first officer has stated is from FCTM. Unrealistic scenario in the simulator is a different aspect. FCTM cannot be ignored.
Exactly my point. Both the blue graphics and the text say to apply the memory items only in case safety of the flightpath is affected. At least that's my interpretation of it.

To apply memory items of UAS when uncertain is a valid and necessary correct step for complex scenarios where the indications make little to no sense. In the realm of what actually might happen that is
- radome destruction
- insect infested/blocked pitots
- protective covers left on
- purposely created unrealistic SIM scenario of another freak type (the real existence of unrealistic scenario)

On other occasions there will be some good indication the crew could work with. Applying TOGA+15 indiscriminately and reactively, without trying to assess the situation first and trying to make sense of it, is actually plain wrong. And the book confirms that in writing.

Problem with TOGA + 15 is the performance, ATC liaison and altitude control. Not to sidetrack too much, we all know that dual engine GA are an identified weak spot of pilot performance worldwide - the reasons and effects are of the same ilk here, in my opinion. Also, simulator experience shows that. Rubbing more salt, us busting 600 m without a clearance, UAS or not, would had put my employer in a bad position and myself plus the crew grounded with no pay and possibly demoted.

Most of the times it is possible to tackle a problem from more angles then just one. For the record, I am speaking of correct angles, not pilot creativity. For obvious reasons yet the FCTM provides only one solution, which is an optimized compromise and covers the widest variance of the underlying problems and most conservative way of handling them. The FCTM has been fine tuned to near perfection over the years and the magnificent effort Airbus puts to the multitude pilot and operator conferences. As a matter of fact, the solutions provided within are to be considered obligatory unless clearly not applicable. That is not the case of ADR1 fault resulting from a bird strike destruction of the onside sensors. One could argue that it is the baseline air data trouble and if the FCTM was to cover only one particular case this would be it.

Slower is better than quick, coordinated with colleague is better than impulsive. Given the description provided, the OP is correct to seek improving his performance the next time.

First.officer Realistic and slightly under-excited, ever doubting, view of one's own performance is one of the finest qualities in a pilot. You may well be in the correct job, although not the optimum chair yet.

Imagine if this was a real estate agents forum, we would be discussing how best to conceal problems on a property ery and modern trends to hype the customer.

Piloting gives you the chance to be proud and rewarded for doing the correct and truthful thing. That is not at all commonplace!