PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2021, 05:55
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
I assume may have been a lesson from the fatal Electra crash (Eastern Air Lines Flight 375) in the USA that was brought down by starlings they had hit six seconds after lift off, initially No 1 autofeathered, No 2 flamed out, partial power loss on No 4.

About to depart from RAAF base Edinburgh in a RAAF Viscount to Canberra. No passengers so quite light. Lined up and saw dozens of sea gulls snacking on thousands of tiny worms on the runway about 200 metres in front of us. There had been rain earlier. Asked ATC to have fire crew hose the birds and worms from the runway which they did.

When the fire crew said birds had dispersed we elected to depart. Within seconds before Vr a whole bunch of birds arose from the grass adjacent to the runway and smacked into the aircraft. Edinburgh runway was very long with a ton of room to stop because we were light. Aborted the takeoff run and taxied back to the tarmac for maintenance inspection which showed multi bird strikes on fuselage, wings and tail. No damage evident. Maintenance then inspected the engines and did run up's and everything normal.

Meanwhile the fire crew found over twenty dead birds scattered on the runway. Once they were picked up we departed wuth no futher problems. We were fortunate there was plenty of excess runway which meant an abort at VR would have been comfortable. Immediate selection of ground fine prop pitch was very effective for deceleration and we did not need manual braking and still had runway to spare. I was aware of the fatal Electra crash in USA where multiple bird strikes after lift off caused engine failures. This may have unconsciously influenced my decision to abort at high speed, but it was not the thing that comes to mind in such a situation. The long runway made it a no-brainer.

The B200 Simulator at the Ansett Sim Centre, was the cause of much embarrassment, red faces, cursing, WTF moments, when doing engine failures.
I believe that simulator is Category B meaning fidelity only guaranteed when airborne. Anything that happens on the runway (crosswinds for example or situations such as continue or reject while on the runway, including landing roll) fidelity is not guaranteed and it would be unfair to criticise a handling pilot under training when performing a manoeuvre which involves runway operations such as aborts. That is why for licencing for type rating, flight in the real aircraft is a CASA requirement. If in doubt about runway ops fidelity write it up in the defect report.