PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I Need a GPS?
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2003, 18:33
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose-X: I'm mightily impressed that you could learn to operate a GNS430 and a stormscope in 5 minutes. I spent probably two hours with the GNS430 manual, another two hours with the "simulator" on my PC, another half an hour sitting in the aeroplane with the real unit and working through the menus, and I would still say I'm not fully conversant with it. I suppose I'm just thick, or a slow learner, or both.

I can set up a route with a STAR and an instrument approach, and fly it on the 430. I can use it to look up ATC and Navaid frequencies. I certainly wouldn't want to be learning to do that while trying to aviate, navigate, and communicate, though.

I think the chap yesterday was having difficulty in his "clapped-out 1970 Cortina" PA28 because he was in and out of IMC and not capable of handling it. It wasn't the aeroplane's fault - he'd have had the same problem in anything, even a state-of-the-art high-performance wonderplane - except that he'd probably have "lost it" completely in the latter.

I did let my younger (car buff) daughter have one lesson in my Sierra Cosworth, but it only lasted about 5 minutes. Scared her rotten, it did. The insurance changed the rules soon after, and that prevented her from driving it anyway.

Nintendo? What's that? Don't they make fruit machines, or something? :-)