PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF “Crewing”
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2021, 23:07
Door Slider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nowhereasfiled
Evening all,

Something I’ve always wondered, was if the RAF had its own crewing department. Naturally, I would assume they did, however looking at the RAF roles online I can’t find any role that could include crewing, other than perhaps Air Operations Officer.

Since the RAF have their own cabin crew etc, are these crew given monthly rosters as per civvy street? And if so, is the crewing side therefore done by AirTanker? Or, being the military, is everything just told to you the day before?
Someone, somewhere will be monitoring rosters, FTLs and all that good stuff, right?

I appreciate not all information can be shared, so any info is appreciated
It’s a difficult question to answer as it can vary between FJ, RW and AT.

For RW, it’s generally done by the crews themselves, personnel within the Sqn will be delegated as duty planners but may also be assisted by the op branch.

For Voyager, Flight Deck crew and cabin crew routine flying is planned by a mix of military and civilian Air Tanker staff pretty much the same as an airline (but with much more flexibility and late notice changes) but for exercise/operational planning that’s usually done by crews who are also designated as duty planners.

hope this helps but there is a big variation between how different fleets do it.