PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320:Unreliable Airspeed
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2021, 13:33
First.officer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That article from Airbus clearly states it can never happen in real life
Sadly, I wish I could believe that and whilst I'm sure that it's highly remote in the extreme - it could happen and these things always find a way when all the "swiss cheese holes" align. And if it's possible to replicate in a simulator, then in theory there is obviously thinking that it's a valid training scenario and that has value however remote - or else it has no value and presence in a training programme I would suggest?.

I know from earlier training received elsewhere, it was always a case of "sitting on your hands" initially and paramount to not necessarily believe everything that is presented as true but perhaps only part of the whole picture....and later, use that thinking with your CRM as a crew to also look for reasons why what you believe has happened, maybe hasn't or is partially correct - does anyone else recall that?. It made sense to me at the time as that way you look for other extenuating factors to make sure you have identified the problem correctly and the action(s) taken are sensible and correct to effect a safe outcome as best can be obtained. Rightly, or wrongly (other than my dire performance) I felt that applying the unreliable airspeed memory items at that point could be no worse than just observing and applying ANC (as I had doubts about my PFD necessarily being correct) and validating that my PFD (ADR2) was indeed correct. It does make life damned hard, I will admit - an early level-off and the pitch-power couple etc., is extremely de-stabilising and increases workload hugely and could be considered an invalid response in the scenario as run. But in theory, it keeps within the FCTM and FCOM guidance if an element of doubt exists?. For me personally, if there is doubt then there is uncertainty, if there is uncertainty then the outcome is not assured and you have to make the best decision available to you at the time and that time allows. I felt that to be the TOGA/15 option - I/we was/were wrong.

Uplinker - yes, very good points - I keep thinking that maybe I should invest in some extra simulator sessions to attempt to address these issues, as a visit to the sim every 6-months (excluding pandemic induced delays) is in my case not leaving me feeling overly confident in my abilities (I also always stress prior to sims and adrenaline always makes it doubly hard). And that may be more to my thinking with regard to my future as an airline pilot as I get older. Overthinking it? quite likely - but we are who we are ;-). I also find the FCOM a terrible read, less so the FCTM - which doesn't help and I find at times lacks the details you need, or to find the answer requires hours spent hunting over various areas and keyword searches, to eventually illicit the answer your seeking - if your lucky. It's UI isn't the best and very easy to get caught out if you forget to set the "Layer" visibility as well - but I digress.