PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2021, 23:29
aviation_enthus

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Green.Dot
Look beyond the flightdeck and whether you are at MGH and have a good read of this and see what life is like on the other side of the globe... Hospitals at breaking point... civil unrest in the US is only the beginning... US Generals being asked to withhold Nuclear codes from a Rogue President. Sh*t is seriously messed up on a large scale worthy of a Hollywood script.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...eaths/13044376

It would seem there is no happy ground in between “Elimination/Very High Suppression” and “Letting it run its course”. Good luck Brisbane, no one wants to see you follow Melbourne.
Look further than the USA and you’ll find countries living in the “happy ground” in the middle.

The UK has made almost no good decisions. TBH they would have just about been better to do nothing.

The USA is beset by the same political system problems as Australia. The health systems are run by the states, a lot of the health rules are set by the states, yet the federal government controls the international borders. Sound familiar? In my opinion a more localised response in a country the size of the USA makes more sense anyway, outbreaks have not been uniform nation wide.

Somewhere like NZ has one level of government able to make national decisions.

Sweden did “ok” in the first part of last year. By “ok” I mean it’s health system could cope with the ongoing infections.

I’m currently in the UAE. They completely reorganised the health system back in April (while under a very strict lockdown). They created multiple isolation field hospitals for COVID patients, dramatically expand testing and completely reorganised the school systems etc to ensure social distancing and isolation facilities existed. They currently process around 100,000 tests daily (for a population just under 10M). To be honest I’ve been quite impressed with the way they’re dealing with it. There is a good balance between allowing life to continue (schooling/work) while still restricting the spread of the virus (no large gatherings etc).