PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2021, 21:37
aviation_enthus

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dr dre
It's too late to still be using the "it's no worse than the flu" argument. For comparison USA standard flu deaths per year is 12,000 to 50,000, COVID has taken 365,000 in 9 months. We have vaccines for the flu and vast experience with it.

Well a herd immunity has been reached, the pandemic is subsiding and life can start to return to normal.

Without a vaccine. One case can quickly turn into millions. At one point the UK, USA, Brazil, Italy, Spain all had one case too......

Yeah, the fear factor of exponential spread with an un-immunised populace. Which is why UK hospitals are overflowing and US hospitals are running out of oxygen. It's a horrific situation. Once a vaccine stops the pandemic (not necessarily the virus) then Covid can become like a seasonal flu illness.
Ok maybe I didn’t make myself very clear, because you’ve completely missed the point I was trying to make.

I’m not comparing it to the flu except for the fact once vaccines are widely available it “should” be dealt with the same way (still around but significantly lower cases every winter).

My point is that cases will actually RISE after the vaccine in Australia. Because they’ve done a reasonable job of keeping the country isolated, the case numbers have been very low compared to other countries. So if we open up with a vaccinated population, how long will it take the political spin masters to stop focusing on COVID?

Plus the public tolerance seems to be incredibly low for ANY cases.....

(I’m not here to debate the COVID vs flu argument, this is about the recovery)