PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bmi longhaul
Thread: bmi longhaul
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2003, 16:35
Tony_EM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you've seen regulations ignored, then should you not have reported these to the relevant authorities?
I most certainly did. But when I confided in a superviser, he turned sour when he got promoted and lead the effort to get rid of me (probably part of his management training), which they did. I contacted a number of authorities, the typical outcome was a couple of inspections and the company being asked if they were doing things properly, which they unsurprisingly answered; "Of course!", so the authorities said "ok"!?!?.

It is why I don't believe in self regulation in this industry anymore, and why I think there should much greater oversight and enforcement of regulations, especially in ground ops. I can't comment on maintnance or aircrews, other than to point out that there have been a number of worrying incidents in those areas too. I spent a long time pondering the merits of 'going public', but concluded that the gutter press would just use it to damage the industry as a whole (in order to sell papers of course), rather than to champion the cause of getting the system changed. My worst fear is that it will only happen once an aircraft is lost. Since my old companies are faithfully re-creating the circumstances of ValuJet and other accidents, I don't think it is 'if' but 'when'.

Some of the magement practises beggar belief, and it makes me shudder when friends tell me that it has got a lot worse since I left.

I got sold off to Aviance (GHI) with all the other 'equipment', so did not witness the usual cr@p during the creation and running of bmi Baby, but I still have my sources. Unfortunately, At Aviance we got the same managers and culture but worse. I got a final and written for 'dissent' to a superior and finally walked in protest. Good in principle, but it was just one less headache for them.

It (Baby) always looked to me like another one of Hogans 'Chop n' flog' efforts. I've heard plenty of stories where mainline staff and equipment is being used for Baby without records, no doubt to bolster the percieved productivity and profitability of it for any potential buyers. They did the same with the handling bit before they sold that.

Same ol' same ol'.