PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 744 Eng Fail and Vmcg
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2021, 15:50
vilas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4468
I’m surprised to have to admit, I can’t find anywhere that ‘recommends’ heels on the floor! 😳

I’m also scratching my head to recall what I did during my 6 years on A319/320/321? The more I think about it, maybe I did fly those take offs with feet up???

But I’m absolutely certain I never did that in the many years spent on any of the three Boeing types I’ve flown! Nor on the other jetliner I flew. Maybe the difference is purely down to pedal design? Though even Airbus themselves express no specific recommendation.

However in general, my personal preference would be heels down, as I believe the greater consequence is inadvertent (differential?) braking at high speed, or inadvertent disabling of RTO autobrake extending the reject distance. (Both of which I have seen.) Purely to combat a low speed runway excursion. All of the above being hypothetical of course.

I see this is a discussion you have been involved in previously.
I am not rigid about it. One can be selective according to threat perception. There are two aspects. In a go decision it's slightly advantageous to have heels on the floor. With heel dug in the floor you can have precise rudder control( not needed in airbus). While in wet slippery conditions a low speed reject at full thrust with feet up it's very easy to just slam the appropriate rudder and brake. If the foot was on ground then instinctively you will apply rudder first then holding rudder slide the foot up to brake there can be a little delay. In normal conditions keep it on ground. And yes Airbus peddles have an edge all around the peddles, feet can be kept up. I have used both but none of them are my inventions.