PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ownership in UK Worth It?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2021, 11:36
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cpilot1
I am a US citizen now living in Eastern England. I earned a CP certificate and an instrument rating in the US a few years ago and I am interested in getting back into some GA flying in the UK. I was once a part owner in a Cirrus, it is a great IFR airplane, and I am considering ownership of one here. However, I have been told that an instrument rating is very difficult to obtain for GA flying here and I suspect that the number of VFR days in this country make airplane ownership more expensive than rentals. Thoughts?

If you have a valid FAA certificate and logbook evidence of 50hrs under IFR then you can do a direct entry CBM IR skill test with no written exams (its an FAA style oral) for the Instrument rating which I would not consider to be difficult to achieve. To get a PPL it will be 2 exams the Air Law and HPL papers which are under 30 questions total and a skill test again not hard for an experienced pilot. Please feel free to drop me a PM as I can do it all for you including the flight tests and am local.